I’m spring-cleaning it this week. I am doing my best to stay home and let the girls (and myself) relax and finish up things we’ve started and MAYBE EVEN CLEAN. (Don’t hold your breath on that one though!)
I scrounged these old come crates from an old milking shed on the farm a while back. They were gross and dirty.
I scrubbed them with hot soapy water then forgot about them
I found them again yesterday (they were storing my art supplies) and scrubbed them again with hot bleach water and set them out to dry. Because ya gotta be clean in the kitchen. I figured it would mess up the paint, but it seemed to brighten it. That was a nice surprise.
I’m going to start with the end. Here is what I ended up with. (Yay)
Yes, I know they are offset. I did that on purpose… because (as Claire says) “Because I wanted to”. I also did it by myself because I’m betting my organized and responsible husband would encourage me to make them even had I waited for him to assist me. (I wonder why my kids are so strong-willed)
I needed a thingy to do it. But so couldn’t describe it to Lynn suffiently for him to go get it for me. So Caroline and I went to wander a store to find it yesterday.
I pre-drilled holes in the crates because I was afraid they would split being so old. I also used washers so it would (maybe) better support the weight.
I found the studs by seeing where the wood paneling was nailed to them. (Highly scientific method)
I put in one screw/washer to attach it to the wall, then leveled the top then put in the rest of the screws. Notice the crate on the left is a little crooked. It’s just the way it warped over time and I couldn’t pull it straight. I’m sure there is a way to fix that, I just didn’t want to fool with it and I like it how it is.
Have a great week friends.